Tuesday, September 10, 2013

NYT > Research: Hard Cases: Penicillin Allergies Overblown

Hard Cases: Penicillin Allergies Overblown

Though one in 10 Americans avoids the antibiotic, a majority of them have no serious allergy and doctors lack the time to dispel their misunderstandin...

Source: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/09/penicillin-allergies-overblown/?partner=rss&emc=rss


1 comment:

  1. I had a rash after receiving penicillin as a teenager and was told to never take it again. In my fifties I had several medical issues and unfavorable side effects from some antibiotics so I had allergy testing which showed that I can probably take penicillin safely. Three years after this testing no doctor has been willing to take that risk. I think I'll have to take the reins at some point and request that I be given penicillin but stipulate that I will sit in the ER waiting room while I take it. I don't know if the fact that my father and one of my daughters also had quite bad rashes after penicillin enters into the equation.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon